Friday, July 10, 2009

Week Five: Eat eat eat!

In my Week Four post, I had mentioned that since I started running, I could eat more calories - more healthy calories to be exact. So, I thought that many of you might be curious as to what exactly it is I'm eating to stay fueled, stay healthy, and maintain a healthy weight while training for a marathon. Below, I've listed what I usually eat during the week while training. I don't eat the exact same thing every day (that would get old quick), but this gives you a general idea the kinds of foods that I normally consume. Of course, I eat more calories when I am preparing for a race or harder run. Usually, these calories come from protein bars or gels and meals higher in carbohydrates and proteins. On race or long run days, I eat about 2300 calories. Also, like I'd mentioned before, as my training gets more vigorous, I will have to eat more calories to stay fueled. Hooray for more calories!! (think The Decendents song, "I like food, food is good!")
Sorry, this post isn't as interesting as others, but I want to continue to stress how important nutrition is when you're following an exercise program (or even if you're not for that matter). Next time, I promise another amusing life-story anecdote.

Breakfast:
-Cinnamon oatmeal - 320 calories
-Shake (blend 4oz nonfat milk, 4oz orange juice, 4oz nonfat strawberry yogurt) - 150 calories

Lunch:
-Turkey sandwich (3 turkey slices) on whole wheat bread with mustard & spinach - 285 calories
-Apple - 72 calories

Dinner:
-6 oz piece of grilled chicken - 200 calories
-Iced green tea - 0 calories
-2 cups broccoli - 45 calories
-15 baby carrots - 60 calories

Snacks:
-Fiber One bar - 140 calories
-8oz coffee w/ 1 tbsp creamer - 32 calories
-Banana - 110 calories
-1/4 cup almonds - 170 calories
-20 grapes: 70 calories
-4 strawberries: 63 calories
-Skinny Dipper ice cream bar - 80 calories

Supplements:
-Multi-vitamin
-Calcium + D supplement
-Joint supplement (never too young for a joint supplement, early injury prevention is key!)

Water:
-14+ oz throughout the day
Not only does water keep you hydrated, it is also a key tool in weight loss or maintenance. Try ditching the diet sodas (or whatever non-water beverages you consume) and drink at least eight 8oz glasses of water a day. You will lose excess water weight that many people carry (especially women) and believe is fat weight. This is due to dehydration & high sodium intake. You'll also notice an overall thinner appearance, especially in your face. Drinking water also helps clear your skin. Who knew something as simple as water could be so, so....magical!

Total calories: 1797
Fat: 40 grams
Carbs: 250 grams
Protein: 75 grams

Week Five Training
(this is a "set-back week," which all good training programs include. This week will give my muscles a chance to recover and prepare for harder runs next week.)

7/6 - Rest day
7/7 - Run 5 miles
7/8 - Speed work, 5 miles
- 1 warmup mile, easy pace
- 2 miles sprinting w/ half mile jogging in between each mile
-1 cooldown mile, easy pace
7/9 - Run 5 miles
7/10 - Rest day
7/11 - Run Of The Mill 5k race
7/12 - Run 5 miles

Total miles for the week: 23 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment