Friday, July 24, 2009

Week Seven: What's up doc?

Newest race time
-7/11 - Run Of The Mill 5k - 25:24 (finished 16 out of 209 in my age group)

Recently, I have been busy. Really really busy. I've somehow managed to take on every project possibly available to me, including building two international websites for work, training my puppy, writing a chapter for a wellness book, going to college, and of course, training for a marathon (among all of the other things that go along with living life). Even though I am a little overwhelmed, everything that I've chosen to take on, is something that I enjoy, so I can't complain. Because of this massive work overload, I don't have that much time to put into my blog this week, but I'll just give an update.

I recently saw a sports medicine doctor to make sure that my body is in good working order to train for a marathon. I feel like I'm in good shape, so normally I wouldn't consult a doctor for any other type of exercise program. However, training for a marathon is much more extreme than any other exercise program that I've ever done before, so I just wanted to make extra sure that I'm not going to get injured in the training process.
Thankfully, he told me that I am in great shape to train for a marathon and he was slightly perplexed as to why I came to see him. (Aren't you suppose to consult a doctor anytime you start a hard exercise regimen??) However, he did find one tiny little clicking noise in my right knee. He said that this shouldn't be a problem as long as I take preventive action to make sure that this doesn't develop into something to be more concerned about later on. He suggested some strengthening exercises, that I now do four days a week. I haven't noticed any difference yet, but I just started doing them. He also suggested that I lose five more pounds because the less I weigh, the less pressure I will be putting on my joints when I run. Well, I don't know if he was not seeing straight or what, but I see myself as a decently lean person (unless I've been looking in funhouse mirrors for the past month) and once I reached 117bs (as of this week), I thought that I wouldn't have to lose anymore weight. An additional 5lbs would put me at 112lbs, which seems a bit low to me; I think skeletons weigh more than that! I've never gotten (or tried to get) that thin. However, I've never been a hardcore runner before either. I guess he is a doctor and I would hope that he knows what he's talking about. For now, I'm going to focus on strengthening and gaining more lean muscle to see if that helps and maybe try to lose a few pounds along the way if the knee clicking persists.
Anyway, that's it for this week. Back to work!

Week Seven Training
Note: since I'm running the SeaFair Torchlight Parade this weekend, I had to modify my training schedule a bit. Originally, there was a 10 mile long run scheduled for Sunday, but I'm afraid that my body would crash if I tried to run 10 miles after an 8k race in 90 degree weather the day before.

7/20 - Cross-training - 1 hour elliptical (6.5 miles)
7/21 - Rest day
7/22 - Tempo Run, 6 miles
-One warm up mile
-Four miles at a faster pace
-One cooldown mile
7/23 - Run 5 miles at race pace
7/24 - Rest Day
7/25 - Seattle SeaFair Torchlight Run - 8K
7/26 - Run 4 miles

Total miles for the week: 26.5 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment