Friday, September 18, 2009

Week Fifteen: Happy movin' feet!

What a crazy/busy week!! I went from having only a few things to do, to having a million things to do all at once. Work has really started to pick up as we're working on building a new website. Unfortunately, I don't have the smarts to do the "cool" stuff when it comes to building the site, so basically, I've been copying and pasting content for three days straight. I think I'm actually starting to feel ill from staring at the monitor for hours on end. However, I'm the type of person where, if I start a project, I like to keep going until it's finished. If I stop, I lose motivation. I have the same mindset when I run. Most runners, when doing long runs, take periodic walk/water/snack breaks. I think it's actually recommended by elite runners to do so. BUT, I'm stubborn and like to do things my own way. When I do for my long runs (13 miles has been the longest so far), I do not stop. Stopping is failure to me; I will push myself to the limit. If I am not blacking out, bleeding or need serious medical attention (none of which have ever happen, ::knock on wood::), I see no reason to stop. However, I do take water and gels with me so that I stay fueled. (I'm not totally insane!) I just drink/eat them while I'm still running. I'm that person who you see running in place at red lights looking totally ridiculous. I feel silly doing it sometimes, I know that people are staring, but I got to keep those feets a-movin'!
So far, this non-stop technique is working for me. I don't feel burned out at all. Every week, I'm adding miles and my runs are starting to feel more natural, especially my hill runs, which I used to dread. I'm still having trouble running in warmer weather and, of course, this is the one year that Seattle's hot weather is never-ending. This is first time I've ever truly wished for summer to hurry up and be over. But please, no rain, just cooler days.
My next race is the Leavenworth Oktoberfest Half-Marathon in the first week of October. In lieu of the Oktoberfest festivities, they hand you a pint of beer at the finish line. Gotta replenish your carbs after a run, right?

Only 10 more weeks until the marathon!

Week Fifteen
9/14 - Rest day
9/15 - Run 7 miles
9/16 - Run 8 miles on a hilly course
9/17 - Rest day
9/18 - Run 6 miles
9/19 - Run 6 miles
9/20 - Tempo Run
-2 warmup miles
-3 miles at 5k pace
-1 cooldown mile

Total miles of the week: 33 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment