Thursday, October 1, 2009

Week Seventeen: Status update

Furthest (and most challenging) distance ran so far: 16 miles

Note: what got me through this run was a water bottle filled with half water, half sports drink (Powerade). This is the first time that I've ever carried a water bottle with me; usually I bring GU gels or Chomps that comfortably fit in my pocket and then I just stop at water fountains, but I decided to try something new. The gels and chomps are good, but they don't give you the same amount of rehydration and electrolytes as a sports drink/water combo does. It was a little annoying carrying the bottle the whole way, but absolutely worth it. I tried wearing one of those runner's water bottle holsters, but that was even more annoying.

Reasons sports drinks work for athletes:

-Sports drinks hydrate better then water:

1. The fluids in sports drinks are absorbed into your bloodstream faster than plain water because the sports drink contains dissolved minerals and carbohydrates that water doesn't.
2. Sports drinks contain sodium and other nutrients that help regulate and balance fluids in the body. Therefore, a sports drink does a better job of allowing your body to maintain optimal fluid balance, which is extremely important when it comes to staying hydrated.
3. Athletes tend to drink more fluids when drinking a sports drink because it contains sodium which can make you thirsty. Drinking more fluids will ultimately help you stay hydrated throughout your entire run.
4. Sports drinks contain calories, which increase energy and endurance. Water contains zero calories (i.e. energy).
5. Sports drinks can reduce muscle damage and promote faster recovery.

-A quality sports drink should contain 15mg of sodium per ounce and 10g of carbohydrates per 100ml, plus a small amount of protein

*These facts are from elite runner, Matt Fitzgerald (http://www.active.com/running/Articles/Which_fluid_hydrates_best__Water_or_a_sports_drink_.htm)

Next race: Leavenworth Oktoberfest 1/2 Marathon, October 3rd
(I'm hoping that the 1/2 marathon will cancel out all of the brews and bratwursts I plan on consuming at the Oktoberfest after the race. It's supposed to be one of the biggest Oktoberfests in the U.S.!)

Me after 17 weeks of training.

Height:
5' 4 1/2"
Weight: 116
Body fat percentage: 18%
BMI: 19.8

Only 8 more weeks until the marathon!

Week Seventeen (slightly adjusted from the original plan due to the 1/2 marathon)
9/28 - Rest day
9/29 - Run 5 miles
9/30 - Run 8 miles on a hilly course
10/1 - Run 4 miles
10/2 - Rest Day
10/3 - Leavenworth Half Marathon, 13.1 miles
10/4 - Rest day

Total miles for the week:
30.1

3 comments:

  1. You are amazing! I wish I could be there cheering you on! Have pint for me at the Oktoberfest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's great that you are going to run the marathon. My neighbor and I are going to walk the Seattle Marathon....a first for both of us. For my long walk this week I got up to 17.6 miles...and I have actually started to run a little (maybe 4 minutes at a time). Who knows, maybe this time next year I will try to actually run a marathon. We all have to start somewhere :) Congrats on all your hard work! Best wishes, Mavis

    ReplyDelete