Monday, June 15, 2009

The beginning of many miles

As I've told many of you, I've recently decided to become a competitive runner. This whole idea started when I was chatting with my counselor. No, not a shrink, just a regular ol' life-in-general counselor, I recommend them to you all. ANYWAY, almost everytime I go to him, he asks me about my hobbies. Well let's see here...hobbies...hobbies...hmmm....well I frequently drink a lot of beer, does that count? I think that comment just made him concerned for my well-being, great. So, I'd give him the usual, run-around - I don't make enough money to have a hobby; it's too expensive, blah blah blah. Then, about a month ago, an avid runner at my work sent out an e-mail asking if we wanted to form a team to run an 8k race (this was the Beat The Bridge event that I was begging you all for money for). So, what the hell, I signed up! I ended up finishing the race ten minutes faster than I'd ever ran it while training. Now I was encouraged; maybe I'm destined to be runnner! And shit, all you really need for this "hobby" is a good pair shoes, functioning legs, and you're set. I became instantly addicted and signed up for three more races the next day, seriously, I was that encouraged. I've done two of those races and I had a blast! Little did I know, there's more to Seattle than just a great music scene; we also have an amazing runnning culture.

Within about three months, I've become a running die-hard and even signed up to compete in the famous Seattle Marathon (26.2 miles). Believe or not, I was completely sober when signing up for this insane event and am actually really excited to train my frail little body to run like I've never ran before. Speaking of never done before, I don't usually blog because I never really have anything noteworthy to blog about, but to me, this qualifies as noteworthy, so I'm sharing. I'll continue to blog throughout my marathon training journey.

Peace ~ Melissa

2 comments: