Thursday, June 25, 2009

Week Three: NutriMirror saved my life

http://www.nutrimirror.com/

http://www.nutrimirror.com/weight-loss-statistics.php

Well, not really, but the NutriMirror (NM) site probably saved me from getting diabetes or becoming morbidly obese at some point. This site is similar to the concept of Weight Watchers only better, plus it's free (and not trying to sell you anything). Unlike other weight loss sites, this site is more focused on healthy living throughout your entire life, not just a temporary fix, like Jenny Craig type programs tend to be. I highly HIGHLY recommend this to anybody who wants to lead a healthy lifestyle, which should be all of you reading this, unless of course you're goals are to get as fat and lazy as possible. Not recommended.

Although I do have a small weight loss goal, my main purpose for using NM is to learn how to eat healthy and stay healthy. Plus, there's an added bonus of chatting with real people about your goals, setbacks, and some priceless (free!) advice about healthy eating and exercise habits.

Before starting NM about two months ago, I did not eat healthy, even though I thought I was. (Thanks mom and dad for the fast metabolism!) Almost all of my meals were Healthy Choice microwave entrees or low-cal salty snacks. Because of this, my sodium was through the roof and I was consuming very little healthy nutrients. I also rarely came near fresh fruit or veggies, and I NEVER drank any water (just mass amounts of diet sodas). I often felt sluggish, I had blotchy skin, and I never truly felt satisfied after I had eaten. Lesson: just because the package says "healthy" or "low calories" does not necessarily mean that it's good for your body.

Just after two months of using NM, I've seen vast improvements. When I first started logging my foods, which I thought were healthy, I had a rude awakening! My diet was horrific! (and probably contributed to me developing gallstones at age 17). Since then, I vowed to change. Now, everyday I eat at least two fruits and veggies, I've completely eliminated frozen entrees and processed foods, and I've replaced diet soda with about fourteen 8oz glasses of water per day. Let me tell you, I feel great!! I have this new found energy (hence the running), my skin is noticeably clearer (which means less $$ spent on makeup :) and I can exercise longer without feeling fatigued. I'm convinced that this is why I can now run 9 miles with no problem. Before, one mile was a struggle.

This all relates to my marathon training because, without proper nutrition to fuel your body, you will feel lethargic. The instant I started improving my eating habits, I started to feel more energetic- so energetic that I decided to take on 26 miles!

If you're interested in healthy weight loss or just improving your overall eating and exercising habits, do check out this site. It should actually be required for all Americans to join the site since two thirds of Americans are overweight and one third are obese. Scary, huh?

**Note: In case you were wondering, I am not getting royalties from NutriMirror for posting this. Heh :)

Week Three Training
6/22 - Rest day
6/23 - Run 5 miles @ an easy pace
6/24 - Long run - 9 miles
6/25 - Tempo work
-Run one warmup mile
-Pick up the pace for 3 miles
-Run one cooldown mile
6/26 - Run 5 miles @ an easy pace
6/27 - Rest day
6/28 - Fred Hutchinson 5k race
http://getinvolved.fhcrc.org/site/TR/Events/General?px=1232721&pg=personal&fr_id=1120&et=kZgo2Bu9_Spp_LU8SnklvQ..&s_tafId=2950

Total miles for the week: 27

2 comments:

  1. NM has helped me also, I was at a crossroads when I ran across the site and have had my eyes opened. Glad to hear that all is well, you will do this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. NM has complemented my training quite well. It has helped me stay on track nutritionally, which is something that people often neglect.
    Thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete