Monday, August 17, 2009

Week Ten: Where'd the sun go??

Last week I took a much needed vacation....or more like just a little break from life; a time to chill out. But of course, it being my usual luck, I picked the only rainy week that we've had all summer to take time off. Summer had completely left Seattle the instant my vacation started (and conveniently started back up as soon as I got back to work). It was rainy and gray almost everyday. This was also the week that I started my more intense marathon training. Instead of upping the miles last week, I upped the intensity of my workouts in order to build muscle while also building endurance....in the rain. Anyone who knows me well knows that I despise the rain, let alone running in it up hill for six miles! It's amazing what I'll do to avoid being rained on so it took an unbelievable amount of will-power to not just go to the gym and hop on the treadmill. (The treadmill doesn't give you the same workout as road running does though). I also had to remind myself that the Seattle Marathon takes place in November when it will most likely be raining...last year it snowed! I've never ran in the rain before, but now would probably be a good time to start getting used to it. As cars were driving by, I was imagining the people looking at me and thinking, "why is that crazy person out there in the rain running up that huge hill?" Well at least that's what I used to wonder when I would see people trudging along in the pouring rain while I was in my nice, warm, DRY car. This was before I was a runner. I now understand the madness. It's all in the name of hardcore fitness and taking any measure to prepare your body to reach the finish line of a 26.2 mile race. Not finishing is not an option with me. However, I must admit, at times when I am at mile 10 and I feel like my knee caps are about to fall off, I wonder why I ever decided that this was a good idea. That thought is merely temporary though. After my runs, I always feel fantastic, tired, but still fantastic no matter how hard the run was. Running releases endorphins; endorphins are what gives off that so-called "runners high." Therefore, exercise is a proven, natural, mood enhancer. No prescription needed. Plus, it makes your body look great, which (to me) is also a natural mood enhancer. :)

Only 15 more weeks until the marathon!

Week Ten Training
8/10 - Rest day
8/11 - Run 4 miles
8/12 - Run 6 miles on a hilly course
8/13 - Rest day
8/14 - Run 4 miles
8/15 - Run 4 miles
8/16 - Long run, 7 miles

Total miles for the week: 25

No comments:

Post a Comment