Thursday, November 12, 2009

Week Twenty-Three: Back in action!

I'm back in action folks!! Last week, when I had that awful head cold, all I did for six days straight, was lay on the couch. The workout DVD and light running that I had planned in my schedule, didn't happen. I just couldn't take the risk of getting sicker. Therefore, the only times that I got up was to take Peppercorn on walks. While walking her, I would almost always see runners cruise on by. I felt like they were taunting me - "haha I'm running and you're not!" (kidding - I didn't actually think that.) In all honesty, every time that I saw somebody run by, it almost brought me to tears. I knew that's what I should have been doing if it weren't for that blasted cold. I wanted to run so bad, but I knew that I had to rest (thank you all for reminding me of that). I am definitely not a person who cries over everything little thing, so this really made me realized that I have a true passion for running. Anything that causes that intense of an emotional response must be something that I really love.
By Monday, the cold had completely passed through my system and I woke up feeling great. That night, I did a 7 mile run on a monster hilly course in the Magnuson area of Seattle (many thanks to Mike & Jen for making that happen). It felt so good to be back on my feet! In fact, the first few strides that I took, I had to hold the tears back; that's how happy I was to be running again. This run was the true deciding factor that I had officially made a full recovery. If I would have run that course when I was even remotely sick, I would have felt completely miserable the next day. Instead, I got up on Tuesday morning, felt as energized as ever, and proceeded to go on a 4 mile easy run that night. Then, on Wednesday, I did intervals with the meet-up group. This time we did 5 x 1 mile at about a 7:40 pace. I was able to keep up with my group just fine, which means I'm finally beginning to build more strength and speed. Speed is where I'm seriously lacking, but I am starting to improve each week thanks to these meet-ups.
Here's my predicament (I always seem to have a predicament): I'm still having trouble deciding how far I should go for my long run this Saturday. Last week, I was supposed to run 22 miles, but that obviously didn't happen. Even though many other experienced runners have said that I'll be fine without that run, I'm still nervous that I've lost a week of crucial mileage. So, how far should I go on Saturday without over-doing it? I have a major problem with over-doing it. I'm the over-doing it queen! Luckily, I have enough sense to I know that I definitely can't do 22 miles two weeks before the marathon. I would wear myself out and possibly become injured. So maybe I'll shoot for 15ish and hope hope hope that I've put in enough mileage to finish the marathon in under 4 hours. That's my goal.

Well, that's enough babbling for one day.

Only 2 more week until the marathon!!

Week Twenty-Three
11/9 - 7 mile hill run
11/10 - 4 easy miles
11/11 - Intervals - 7 miles
Warm-up: 2 easy miles
Intervals: 5 x 1 mile @ 7:40 pace
11/12 - Run 5 miles
11/13 - Rest
11/14 - Mystery distance ??? (update: I ran 18 miles)
11/15 - Rest

Total miles for the week: 37

No comments:

Post a Comment